Callywith student Josh shares why he chose to do a Level 7 Accountancy Apprenticeship with Bishop Fleming after college.

Previous school: Bohunt Community School, Liphook

Courses studied: Level 3 Business Diploma

Extra activities: Basketball Academy

Progression: Level 7 Accountancy Apprenticeship - Bishop Fleming (five year)

What did the application process for the apprenticeship involve?

There were several stages to the application process:

- I sent Bishop Fleming my CV and a cover letter.
- I was then sent numerical reasoning and deductive reasoning tests to complete online.
- I completed an online interview. Candidates are given approximately 20-30 seconds to read the question and prepare their answer. Candidates then have one attempt to film themselves answering the question. There were five questions in total.
- The final stage was an “assessment centre”. This lasted for two days. I completed this at the office where I would prefer to work. I was given an hour to read a case study before analysing it and identifying the strengths and weaknesses of the business. I was also required to make recommendations as to how the business could improve their performance. After this, I made notes to help me make a presentation to the interviewers. I was then asked questions about the case study and the financial accounts. Finally, I was asked questions about my CV and a series of preprepared interview questions.

What will your role as an apprentice involve?

I will spend most of my time (80%) gaining on-the-job experience and training. I will spend the remaining 20% preparing for the Chartered Accountancy examinations.

What made you choose the apprenticeship route?

I feel that I am an applied learner and would much rather mainly learn on-the-job rather than in a classroom or lecture theatre

How did Callywith support and influence your decision to do an apprenticeship?

I gained an insight into apprenticeships in tutor sessions.  David Sellars, who is our careers advisor, helped me in two one-to-one meetings.  I also used the lunchtime drop-in sessions.

What are you looking forward to about your apprenticeship?

I am looking forward to starting work and training to become a chartered accountant, which is my ambition. Additionally, I am looking forward to the financial benefits of an apprenticeship.

Do you have any tips or advice for other students considering apprenticeships?

Research potential employers and complete work experience as this can confirm your career choice, as well as strengthening your job applications.

What are you hoping to do in the future?

I want to qualify as a chartered accountant. Potentially at some point in the future, I may like to set up my own business.